Quick Evaluation using Security Onion ISO image¶
If you just want to quickly evaluate Security Onion using our ISO image:
- Review the Hardware Requirements and Release Notes pages.
- Download and verify our Security Onion ISO image.
- Boot the ISO image and choose the default boot menu option.
- Once the live desktop appears, double-click the
- Follow the prompts in the installer. If prompted with an
encrypt home folderor
encrypt partitionoption, DO NOT enable this feature. If asked about automatic updates, DO NOT enable automatic updates.
- Once the installer completes, rebooot into your new installation and login using the username and password you specified during installation.
- Double-click the Setup icon to run normal Setup. Alternatively, you can run minimal Setup by opening a terminal (Ctrl-Alt-T) and then typing
sudo sosetup-minimaland pressing Enter. The Setup wizard will walk you through configuring
/etc/network/interfacesand will then reboot.
- After rebooting, log back in and start Setup the same way you did previously (either double-clicking the icon or running
sudo sosetup-minimal). It will detect that you have already configured
/etc/network/interfacesand will walk you through the rest of the configuration. When prompted for
Production Mode, choose
- Once you’ve completed the Setup wizard, use the Desktop icons to login to Sguil, Squert, or Kibana.
- Finally, review the Post Installation page.